It’s hard to believe that it’s already September and that the summer is gone. Considering the weather that we had, most of us are still waiting for summer to arrive and unfortunately that ship has sailed. There is always a lot of confusion about what is open and closed on Labour Day weekend. Saturday, September 5th and Sunday, September 6th are just regular weekend days and regular weekend hours of operation will apply. Monday, September 7th is an entirely different story because Labour Day is a legal statutory holiday and that means lots of closures. The TTC and GO Transit will be running on a holiday schedule.
What will be closed on Labour Day?
- Government offices
- There will be no mail delivery because the post office is closed
- Beer Stores
- Most supermarkets – notable exceptions are Bruno’s and some No Frills stores
- Most businesses
- Malls in Toronto, except for the Eaton Centre
- Most stores
What is open on Labour Day?
- Yonge Street from Richmond Street north to Grosvenor
- The Eaton Centre
- Queen’s Quay
- Yorkville – stores will decide individually to open or close
- Vaughan Mills will be open from 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Pacific Mall will be open from 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM
What is there to do on Labour Day?
- Visit the CNE.
- Attend the Labour Day Parade. It starts at 9:30 AM at Queen and University and proceeds down Queen to Dufferin and then south to the Dufferin Gate at the CNE.
- Take in Brazilian Day at Yonge-Dundas Square from 2:00 PM – 7:30 PM. It promises to be a great event and it’s FREE.
- Enjoy the Hispanic Fiesta at Mel Lastman Square.
- Learn all about Dogs with Jobs at PawsWay, located at 245 Queens Quay West.